The Firm was founded in Cleveland, Ohio as a sole proprietorship in 1938 by Walter B. Stone. Lewis B. Frauenthal joined the firm in 1956, shortly thereafter became a partner, and then managing partner. Steven H. Newman joined the Firm in 1983 and in 1985 became a shareholder. For over thirty years the Firm’s office was located on Euclid Avenue at East 18th Street. In June of 1988 the Firm moved to expanded, refurbished quarters in the Park Plaza building on Chester Avenue and remained there until 2002. In December of 2002, the Firm moved to their current location on the tenth floor of the Ohio Savings Plaza building on East Ninth Street.
In May of 2005, after nearly 50 years of professional practice, Mr. Frauenthal retired from the firm and the accounting profession. Steven H. Newman is now President of the firm. Including Steve, the firm consists of sixteen employees, which includes four certified public accountants.
On November 1, 2016 Nicholas Fanous also became a shareholder of the firm.
Newman & Company, CPAs provides a full range of professional services that include: accounting, tax planning and compliance, personal financial and estate planning, business planning, business valuations, litigation support, mergers and acquisition support and IRS representation.
The firm has operated under different ownership over the years; however, its basic philosophy has remained the same: to provide the highest quality and personal attention to small and medium size businesses and the families that own and operate them. Our clients benefit from the expertise, quality of work and commitment to success of our talented professional staff.
Our Mission and Vision
To deliver the highest quality experience for EVERY client EVERY time.
Demonstrate personal responsibility and professionalism in every action and interaction for our clients and with each other.
As a firm, we strive for honest, ethical, and professional actions. We are committed to an atmosphere of mutual respect and support to achieve a productive and rewarding work experience. As a firm of diverse professionals, Newman & Company, CPAs is committed to constant self-improvement and training in order to provide for the firm’s overall success.
|Steven H. Newman, CPA, CVA||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x102||BIO|
|Nicholas M. Fanous, CPA||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x110||BIO|
|Jeffrey L. Piotrowski, CPA||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x101||BIO|
|Adam R. Miller||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x103||BIO|
|Brittany L. Petitto||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x107||BIO|
|Darlene M. Groves||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x108||BIO|
|Julie A. Brandon||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x104||BIO|
|Thomas M. Woisnet, CPA||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x106||BIO|
|Elizabeth Stepteau||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x100||BIO|
|Karen Temple||PHONE: 216-781-6106 x112||BIO|
Steven H. Newman is the Managing Shareholder and President of Newman & Company, CPAs. He joined the firm in 1983 as an Accounting Manager and became a Shareholder in 1985. Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Steve was a senior internal auditor and accounting manager for the Diamond Shamrock Corporation. A native Clevelander, Steve received his Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting, Magna Cum Laude from Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, in 1979.
In addition to being a CPA, Steve received his certification as a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) in 1998. As a CVA, Mr. Newman values businesses for sales acquisitions, estate and gift tax planning, divorce and other litigation matters. Steve is a member of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA), the Ohio Society of CPAs (OSCPA), the Tax Club of Cleveland, and the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA).
As an active member of the Northeast Ohio Apartment Association, he also serves clients as a consultant in real estate and other tax matters. Mr. Newman is very active in community service projects and organizations. He is the past Treasurer of the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Steve is a past board member of the ALS Association – Lou Gehrig’s disease, Northern Ohio Chapter and Board Member and past Treasurer of Temple Israel Ner Tamid. He hosted the radio show “Financial Opportunities” which aired on WCLV 104.9 FM on Sunday mornings from 2006 through 2012. Steve served on the South Euclid-Lyndhurst finance advisory committee and was the Treasurer for the school system’s levy campaign. In addition, he enjoys volunteering for Habitat for Humanity.
The following details his background, continuing education, professional associations and civic activities.
- Graduate of Kent State University in 1979 Bachelors of Science in Accounting, Magna Cum Laude
- Accounting Manager and Internal Auditor for The Diamond Shamrock Corporation from 1979 through 1983
- Certified Public Accountant, 1983
- Certified Valuation Analyst, 1998
CONTINUING EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Member NACVA (National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts)(1998-present)
- Member CEIR (Center for Economic and Industrial Research)(1983-present)
- Member AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants)(1983-present)
- Member OSCPA (Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants)(1983-present)
- Member Tax Club of Cleveland (1990-present)
- Member COSE (Council of Smaller Enterprises)(1983-present)
- Member NOAA (Northeast Ohio Apartment Association)(various years and present)
- Past board member of the ALS Association (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Northern Ohio Chapter (2005-2008)
- Board member and past Treasurer of Temple Israel Ner Tamid (2007-present)
- Hosted the radio show “Financial Opportunities” airing on WCLV 104.9 FM on Sunday mornings (2006-2012)
- Served as Treasurer, Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland (1996-2002)
- Served on South Euclid/Lyndhurst Finance Advisory Committee (1989-1993)
- Served as Treasurer, Citizens for South Euclid/Lyndhurst Schools (1989-1993)
firstname.lastname@example.org 216-781-6106 x102
Nicholas M. Fanous is a shareholder of Newman & Company, CPAs. Nick joined the firm in 2015 and brings with him over 20 years of public accounting experience working with public and private companies in a diverse spectrum of industries including: manufacturing, distribution, oil and gas, personal services and not-for-profit. Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Nick was a Mergers & Acquisitions Tax Director with Grant Thornton LLP. Nick received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Accounting from Cleveland State University in 2002, and is a 1998 alumnus of St. Ignatius High School.
Nick’s professional experiences include but are not limited to:
- Providing full service tax compliance, tax planning and consulting services to corporate, individual and not-for profit clients
- Audit and attestation services for both for-profit and non-for-profit entities
- Pass-through entity formation and taxation
- Providing tax due diligence services for both buy-side and sell-side business transactions
- Assisting clients with tax efficient structuring of acquisition and divestiture transactions
In addition to being a CPA licensed to practice in the State of Ohio, Nick is also affiliated with:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Ohio Society of CPAs
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of NEO – Treasurer and Board Member
- Incarnate Word Academy – Treasurer and Board member
email@example.com 216-781-6106 x110
Jeffrey L. Piotrowski is a Tax and Accounting Manager for Newman & Company CPAs. Jeff joined the firm in 2019 and brings with him over 23 years of public accounting and industry experience with small to mid-size business, financial planning and estate planning for high net worth individuals, and non-profit organizations. Prior to joining Newman & Company CPAs, Jeff ran his own tax practice for many years, was Vice-President of Executive Compensation at National City Bank and held the position of Tax Manager for PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP. Jeff received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Cleveland State University in 1998.
Jeff’s professional experiences include but are not limited to:
- Providing full service tax compliance, tax planning and consulting services to corporate, individual and not-for-profit clients
- Business entity formation and taxation, including preparation of detailed business plans
- QuickBooks consulting and implementation
- Gift and Estate planning
In addition to being a CPA licensed to practice in the State of Ohio, Jeff has also been involved in his community in the following:
- Board member for Ashtabula County Young Marines (youth organization sponsored by the US Marine Corp Association)
- Geneva City Councilman for nine years, four of those as President of Council
- Community Improvement Corporation Board member
firstname.lastname@example.org 216-781-6106, x101
Adam R. Miller is a Staff Accountant and Certified QuickBooks Online ProAdviser with Newman & Company, CPAs. He joined the firm in December 2013. Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Adam was a Senior Staff Accountant with Your Bean Counters, Inc. Adam has over 18 years’ experience working within public, non-profit and real estate accounting. He received his Bachelors of Science in Business Administration majoring in Accounting from Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio in 2001.
A listing follows showing his background and civic activities
- Graduate of Ohio Northern University with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting in May 2001
- Staff Accountant at the firm since December 2013
- Senior Staff Accountant at Your Bean Counters, Inc. in 2009 until May 2013
- Accountant Contractor in 2005 until January 2009 holding positions as Real Estate Property Accountant, Financial Analyst and Staff Accountant on various contracting assignments
- Property Accountant at Gold Coast Properties from 2002 to September 2005
- Treasurer – Cleveland Blues Base Ball Club (August 2012-Present)
- Independence Co-op preschool fundraiser committee member
email@example.com 216-781-6106 x103
Brittany L. Petitto is a Staff Accountant and Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor with Newman & Company, CPAs. She joined the firm in September 2010. Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Brittany was a Staff Accountant with Conte Co., CPA, Inc. in Norton, Ohio. Brittany received her Bachelors in Accounting and Marketing from the School of Business at Walsh University in North Canton, Ohio, both in 2009. In August 2010, Brittany received her MBA with a concentration in Integrate Marketing Communications from Walsh University.
A listing follows showing her background.
- Graduate of Walsh University of Ohio in 2009 Bachelors in Accounting and Marketing
- Staff Accountant at the firm since September 2010
- Staff Accountant for Conte Co., CPA, Inc. in Norton, OH from June 2008- September 2010
firstname.lastname@example.org 216-781-6106 x107
Darlene Groves is a Staff Accountant for Newman & Company, CPAs. She joined the firm in 1995. Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Darlene was the Controller for First Forms from 1988 to 1995 and also previously an Assistant Director of Financial Operations for Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue, Attorneys at Law. She graduated from Cleveland State University with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting in 1979.
A listing follows showing her background and civic activities.
- Graduate of Cleveland State University with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting in June 1979
- Staff Accountant for the Firm from October 1995 to the present
- Office Manager for the Firm from October 1995 to January 2012
- Controller for First Forms from January 1988 to June 1995
- Assistant Director of Financial Operations for Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue Attorneys at Law
- Eucharistic Minister at St. Ann Catholic Church
Darlene@newmancpas.com 216-781-6106 x108
Julie A. Brandon is a Staff Accountant with Newman & Company, CPAs. She joined the firm in August 2006. Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Julie was a Staff Accountant with Mastercraft and Tyre in Mesa, Arizona and a Billing Coordinator with Brett Linden Lawn Maintenance in Avon, Ohio. Julie received her Bachelor of Science in Business majoring in Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, both in 2003. She also participated in Miami’s Capstone in Strategic Management course. This is an intense course on managing a company while competing with others in the class to see who could make the largest profit. The team she was on won this competition.
A listing follows showing her background.
- Graduate of Miami University of Ohio in 2003 Bachelors of Science in Business majoring in Accounting and Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
- Capstone in Strategic Management – Intense Management Course at Miami University
- Staff Accountant at the firm since August 2006
- Staff Accountant for Mastercraft Automotive and Tyre in Mesa, Arizona in 2005 until August 2006
- Server at Cheesecake Factory from 2005 until December 2006 in Arizona and in Ohio
- Supervisor/Installer at RJ Data Cabling, Inc. from 2002 until 2005
- Billing Coordinator at Brett Linden Lawn Maintenance in 2000
email@example.com 216-781-6106 x104
Tom Woisnet is a part-time accountant with Newman & Company, CPAs. He was a twenty-five year veteran of the Cleveland Fire Department and a degreed accountant and CPA. In addition to serving the department, he pursued an interest in accounting on a part-time basis working for the firm. Tom worked for the firm as a part-time accountant in the 1990’s and rejoined the firm in February 2006. During tax season, he assists with compliance for high net worth individuals.
A listing follows showing his background, continuing education, and professional associations.
- Graduate of Cleveland State University with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Finance
- From 1984 to 2005, a Staff Accountant for both Shalek & Associates and Jurcago & Company.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member of the Cleveland Fire Department since March of 1981
- Promoted to Captain in the Cleveland Fire Department in 1997
- District Field Representative for Westinghouse Credit Corporation
CONTINUING EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Member AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants)
- Member OSCPA (Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants)
- Served approximately one year at the Fire Prevention Bureau
- Served approximately one year at the Fire Training Academy
- Served approximately one year at the Fire Storeroom
firstname.lastname@example.org 216-781-6106 x106
Elizabeth Stepteau is the staff accountant with Newman & Company, CPAs. She joined the firm in September 2006. Before joining the team at Newman & Company, CPAs, Liz managed a pharmacy as well as being its top pharmacy technician. Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, she relocated to Cleveland in 2006.
A listing follows showing her background
- Attended Baruch College from 1996 to 1998 with a Major in Accounting
- Secretary and Receptionist for the Firm from September 2006 to the present
- Manager and Pharmacy Technician for Best Care Pharmacy in New York from May 2005 thru August 2006
- Administrative Assistant for Taxes Computerized Associates in New York from November 2004 to May 2005
- Office Manager for a Medical Doctor in New York from November 2002 to October 2004
- Manager of Future Tan in New York from June 2000 to January 2002
email@example.com 216-781-6106 x100
Lisa Burda is the Administrative Assistant and Receptionist at Newman & Company, CPAs. Lisa joined the firm in January 2019. She has 18 years of experience as an Administrative Assistant and over 20 years in Customer Service. Before joining the team at Newman & Company, CPAs, Lisa was a Home Health Care Provider in Cleveland, Ohio.
A listing follows showing her background and education:
- Graduated from Sawyer College of Business in 1993 with Legal Secretary Certification
- Home Health Care Provider in Cleveland, Ohio from 2013 thru 2018
- Customer Service Representative for United Consumer Financial Services from October 2012 to March 2013
- Customer Service Representative for Safeguard Properties from September 2011 to September 2012
- Administrative Assistant for various employment agencies from October 2005 to August 2011
- Administrative Assistant for McDonald Hopkins Co., LPA from September 2003 to September 2005
- Administrative Assistant for Watson Wyatt from June 2001 to August 2003
- Administrative Assistant for Ernst & Young LLP from October 1993 to May 2001
firstname.lastname@example.org 216-781-6106 x100
Karen Temple is an independent contractor and the Director of Development for Newman & Company, CPAs. She joined the firm in February 2008 and has worked in the field of marketing and graphic design since 1988. She also has a side business that she started in 1999 called Karen’s Cheesecakes that sells gourmet cheesecakes and has over one hundred regular customers.
Prior to joining Newman & Company, CPAs, Karen worked in various industries and companies in a marketing capacity. Some of her responsibilities and tasks were making sales calls, setting appointments with follow-ups to contacts and as a designer in their graphic arts departments.
Karen graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree concentrating in Graphic Design from Kent State University. She also received an Associates of Liberal Arts degree from the University of Cincinnati.
A listing follows showing her background and education:
- Graduate of Kent State University with a Bachelors of Arts in Graphic Design
- Graduate of University of Cincinnati with an Associates of Liberal Arts
- Owner and baker for Karen’s Cheesecakes from 1999 to the present
- Marketing and Sales activities for the following:
- U.S. Network from 2004 to 2006
- Akron Cotton Products from 1993 to 2002
- PRD Graphics from 1990 to 1993
- Penton Media from 1988 to 1990
email@example.com 216-781-6106 x112